Some other things to remember;
1. Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Fire short bursts of one to two seconds only when your sights are definitely "ON".
2. Whilst shooting think of nothing else, brace the whole of your body; have both hands on the stick; concentrate on your ring sight.
3. Always keep a sharp lookout. "Keep your finger out".
4. Height gives you the initiative.
5. Always turn and face the attack.
6 Make decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.
7. Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.
8. When diving to attack always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as a to guard.
9. INITIATIVE AGGRESSION. AIR DISCIPLINE, and TEAMWORK are words that MEAN something in AIR Fighting.
10. Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!
Sailor Malan DSO & BAR, DFC & BAR, No74 Squadron
27 Kills, seven shared destroyed, three probably destroyed and 16 damaged.
If my lottery numbers come up one of the first things i`m doing is this.
£1000 a minute for a ride in a WW2 Spitfire converted to a two seater is a small price to pay compared to those who flew them and for many payed a much greater price...
Fast forward 70 years and 3 TV celebs... -:)