Wednesday 6 January 2021

Willys Hotchkiss Willys M201 Jeep...


Rewind to as far as I remember, and watching WW2 films from the 1960`s and 70`s I always loved seeing WW2 Jeeps and would as I grew up have Action Man Jeeps and Airfix models and Dinky Toys of Jeeps and various WW2 stuff...

My late dad served as a Gunner in Centurion Tanks in the 1960`s,and while the British Army by then used Austin Champ Jeeps the French Military were still using the Willys Jeeps and replacement parts including a replacement Chassis, made under licence after WW2 by the French Hotchkiss Company kept many of the Jeeps in service with the French Military and Police until the 1990`s. Over their years of service they were updated and improved with better electrics and internal engine improvements and carburettors ...

I always said to my dad that one day I would buy a WW2 Jeep and as the years have went on looking at the prices of WW2 dated Jeeps they have went crazy to a point of not being affordable to the working man...

After 1990 French Military Jeeps started becoming available to the public here in the UK with the same basic design as the MB Willys using nearly all the same parts but with their upgrade improvements these Jeeps dressed as WW2 Jeeps have become a better option to own than an iconic WW2  machine unless you are a classic car collector,  The Hotchkiss Jeeps seem to be better to use in the real world...

And after saying for years that one day I will buy a Willys Jeep  for my 50th Birthday despite the buying options were drying up as prices for original examples have went through the roof, circumstances with me selling my house and moving in with G and spending some of my banked cash into a classic car would hold better value than cash right now in the bank, and I will have some fun with my investment...
And on Xmas eve of 2020 a new toy rolled off a flatbed courier truck...





The flat head `Go Devil` engine is the same 2.2 litre side valve of war era Jeeps but Hotchkiss had the timing belt replaced with a more reliable gear drive along with a French `Solex` Carburettor, so it still has that same noise and fan whirl of the WW2 Jeep...


I got plenty reading up to do on the Jeep history and maintenance which I hope to mostly do myself, 
They were built for `in the field` basic maintenance using basic tools, proper Meccano meets Tonka for grown ups!...


There is a lot of helpful people online and useful videos on YouTube for help and I will hopefully share these helpful peoples films and my progress...



Just been around Town mostly getting used to driving it, and it drives good, the steering is tight with no play, and the overhauled brakes pull it up straight...



The Jeep cruises happy at 45mph, and that feels fast enough in it's open top design...
It needs a few parts replaced which is expected for a 55 year old Jeep...






Did one long drive following the coast to my Mum`s and it was ace!, 
The Jeep is driving way better than i expected. Summer evenings cruising around Country roads will be good fun!...


Xmas pressies give a load of intelligence on what's going on...

G`s son helped me take off the roof tarp that once it is folded fits under the passenger seat, and we folded down the roof frame and then the windscreen, giving it that classic Jeep look...



A quick drive around town and I much prefer to drive it with the roof down, 
Windscreen will probably just be down on the hottest of days though! as it was proper baltic!...



Open top motoring in January... canny beat it!...


Here is a wee film, I will need to wait until after Lockdown restrictions eases before I can go out a leisure drive and do some  proper filming, though I can use it to go to essential shopping!...




More Soon...

7 comments:

  1. What a great buy, you'll have some fun. I like the flying jacket, I remember my dad having an original one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great looking Jeep! I am sure that you know, already, but have to watch the rollovers at speed. I drove a Jeep in the U.S. Army, back in the early 80's. We had to watch videos of rollovers before getting our military license. Our jeeps were leftovers from the Vietnam era. Loads of fun to drive and I put mine through lots of tortuous conditions in the training ranges around Ft. Polk, Louisiana. Was an Infantryman, back then. Enjoy your jeep! Great post and looking forward to seeing more of your adventures with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to here from someone who drove them for real!, Looking forward to getting out in the summer and will be posting updates and films!,

      Delete
  3. Sweet Ride!! Enjoy it looks like a lot of fun to drive around in! :)

    ReplyDelete