Thursday 6 January 2022

Using up parts in the Cave; wheel build for another Surly Pugsley 2.0...


I have been using up used parts in the Man Cave and with some spare hubs and rims I laced up another pair of Pugsley wheels having the replaced Moonlander rear wheel from the Orange Pugsley 2.0 with Moonlander `Clownshoe` 100mm rim with Hope 135mm qr rear hub, and a stock used Surly Wednesday rear wheel with 80mm Surly 80mm rim I picked up used for £100, but don't really need it for a Wednesday so both wheels were stripped...


Nate tyre will go onto the Army Pugsley when needed...



I binned the rusty cheap spokes from the Moonlander rear wheel...


Then stripped the Wednesday rear wheel and added the 177mm rear hub to the spares box...


Where I had a Surly Ultra 135mm (rear disc spaced) front hub as needed for a Surly Pugsley build...



Using 262mm spokes I already had I laced the Hope Pro 2 hub offset onto the 80mm rim for the rear...


Then the Ultra 135 hub onto the 100mm Surly Clownshoe rim in symetrical pattern again using 262mm spokes...


I trued the rear wheel in a Pugsley offset fork...



Then trued the symmetrical Moonlander rim wheel in a Symmetrical Moonlander fork...




Though the wheels have different width rims it will not matter too much and these will be a spare wheel set to use with 5" tyres on my unbuilt Orange Pugsley 2.0 frame once I find another symmetrical Surly Moonlander fork, 
lastly the wheels got a quick spray over with Lanoguard giving the spokes and inside the rims a good soak, this should see them roll ok for a while...


Its nearly 10 years since the Surly Moonlander came out and re wrote the books again after the original Surly Pugsley with what and where a bicycle can actually be cycled and with little effort...
While the 100mm rims are sadly out of production - that's for another blog on why Surly don't make the best parts they designed anymore?, Clown shoe rims, Rabbit hole rims, not to mention the Pugsley offset frame set itself...
With the later 4.8" tyres becoming available when they brought out the Surly Ice Cream Truck (wide Fatbike specific hubs and symetrical wheels) these wide wheels were and still are impressive with the ease of effort to cycle over loose surfaces but more impressive I think and mostly not mentioned by people is the foot print left by these wheels, it is less than a human...
I like to let people know this when I meet them on Areas where visitors give you a look like you should not be there cycling, and most are impressed when you point at the tracks next to footprints...

Wee film I made of this yesterday when out cycling on the local Nature Reserve...





More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment