Thursday 18 November 2021

Tool Time; Adjustable spanners, Mole grips and Stilsons etc...

 

I recently cleaned up some old Adjustable spanners I had in a box and soaking them in a rag soaked in Vapo-rust they cleaned up quite good after drying and a quick rub with a brass wire brush and spray with oil...



USA made one is the better quality spanner, I have now added this to my Jeep toolbox... 



The bigger Silverline is an ok shifter and working, so this was added to my Van tools, you may as well put tools to a use...



Over the years I have collected up a lot of good quality tools from my late Father, to friends getting rid of stuff, and car boot sales etc...

These for example were my Dads and I use these regularly while tinkering in the Man Cave;



The 18" Bahco Swedish adjustable is a quality spanner and will unlikely slip when used such it's  precision...


The Atorn spanners I received in two sizes from a friend and they too are very good to use...





Smaller adjustable spanners are also UK made and good quality...



Adjustable's are good for things like the square head sump and filler plugs on axles and gearbox/transfer box of the Jeep that being of a soft material and old the squareness has off squared so to speak and a regular open end spanner of the correct size will now not fit, the adjustable are ideal as can get an adjusted firm grip to loosen and tighten them...






These are another old classic adjustable made by famous English company KING DICK...

I use these to straighten warped and rubbing brake disc rotors on my bikes...



I also have a couple of pairs of 18" Draper Stilsons, and these are actually really good, but if you can find a pair of Record Tools ones your really on a winner...



A cross between Stilson type wrenches and adjustable are often called Mole Grips - referred to as Vice Grips in the USA, Snap On Tools don't actually make and sell this style as they say Vice Grips are of such superior quality that they stock and sell their brand, I previously owned a pair of 6" Vice Grips and sadly had them stolen out of a motorcycle tool kit years ago, but they are ace quality.  Back to Mole Grips, and I have a genuine pair of English made in Birmingham 8" ones that also belonged to my Dad...



New tools of decent quality at an affordable price are also available, I spend an average £25 a month on workshop stuff, it may be Tyre Sealant or Dry Chain Lube for our Fatbikes one month, or a tool needed for the Jeep these days... This month i bought this set of various size and same grips made by US Pro for £24 via eBay and they are ideal and used them a few times when needed since I bought them and added the to my Jeep workshop toolbox... I also bought AF spanners and 3 ratchets and 1/4” sockets since made by this company and they are all decent quality for the money and will happily buy more of their tools when I need some...





Here is a review YouTube film on US Pro Tools which includes those set of grips...



More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment