Monday 20 June 2022

Willys Jeep; how to fit those real tight to compress shock bushes...

I fitted new shock absorbers and leaf springs to the Jeep a while back after it developed what's known as `Jeep sag` when the Jeep started to sag on the drivers side, you can read about that on a previous Jeep blog post Here...

At the time I could not compress the new rubber bushes in the eyelets of the shock absorbers enough to insert the split pin onto of the washer, so, I just reused the rubber bushes off the old shocks,

I thought this was fine until recently when I had the old Go Pro camera attached under the Jeep while filming I saw the movement in the bushes - you will see this in the film below...

So I had to get this fixed before the movement damaged either the shock absorber eyelet or the shock mount, and I hatched an idea that did work,


So first off I removed the lower rear shock absorbers, removing the split pin then washer, and then the rubber bush...

 


A half inch socket extension pulled out the rubber bush which on the previous aftermarket shocks was a one piece bushing...




Here is the replacement bushes that came with the new shocks with part number - 4 bags contain bushes in 2 halves for one shock absorber...


With these pushed in best I could I just managed to fit the washer on the end of the spindle...


When I originally tried this as you can see the washer was flush with the end and covering the split pin hole...



I then deployed the scissor jack fitting the end with the slot which would normally locate with your car sill... 





I pressed the split pin straight in the vice to re use, and it dropped in its hole easy




Then with the jack removed opened the end of the split pin using a flat blade screw driver, then pliers, then a gentle tap with a hammer and job done on one lower shock end in under 5 minutes...




With the other side done I checked the tops but they have not worn and are still tight, as are the front shocks...


Just goes to show its worth using an old Go Pro on a magnet to spy potential problems with the Jeep!


Here is a wee film showing how to do this...




More soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment