Saturday 17 August 2013

Saturday Two wheeling...

I like to keep my cycling interesting by doing the odd different thing, so after a 12hr shift at work on Friday and no Friday affy ride it was a couple of ciders and an early bed. I woke up at 4am and thought "lets go for a pre dawn night ride to the coast" on the Surly Pugsley!.
I got ready and just headed out around 4.30am, it was still quite dark with being overcast, sunrise was 05:45am so i would get an hour with the lights on. A warm 17Celcius breeze was nice as i rode to The coast at Tyninghame...


Had my Magicshine 872 lights since Autumn 2011. They have been a great buy, with no problems or issues. The batteries hold a charge still and so will be used again this winter. Rob at Magicshine UK offered to loan me the newer MJ - 880 2000 lumen light to try out and review last year. I need to give him a buzz as i fancy buying one of these after the reliability of the two 1600 lumen 872 lights...



A glow on the horizon out in the North Sea. Overcast so unlikely of a good sunrise as i have so often seen from work this summer...

There was a rave on in Tyninghame woods!, i could here the booming music as i rode down and along the Secret trail, i thought it was just around every bend as it was so loud but it was at the track end from the car park, just before the end of the trail a kid stepped out onto the trail, he had no idea i was there! until he looked up and stared into 3200 lumen's of lights! lol, i ground to a halt as he walked into me, he was out his skull on something but he did apologise as he got backup and i asked him if he was ok, he was and his eyes were whirling... but he did notice my Pugsley tyres!, prob thought he was hallucinating! -:)
I rode past the blaring music and campfire and around Duck Island point...



No sunrise indeed so back home through Binning Woods past new holiday chalets...



An overcast dawn...


Wall Trees? ... -:)


Shorter than planned ride but still good to get out for an hour in the dark with the lights on. Only 7.30am when i got home!...


In the afternoon i rode to See my dad in North Berwick. Rain clouds were floating about and rolling in quick in the strong South westerly wind...


A real heavy shower rolled over and i just got caught in it as i dashed to Dave's shop to get out the rain and have a blether...


The Kanvas green Surly Pug Ops is i think the best spec complete Pugsley yet, and if your riding includes coastal trails and beach then perfect. 80mm rims, thumb shifters, and  BB7 brakes are all ideal for sand and salt water riding .
You can also fit the 5" BFL tyres into a pugsley as my friend Gary has, a kinda half way house between a Pug and the mighty Moonlander err is that a MoonPug then? -:)

This bike is going to a friend soon, he is going to love it...


It looks light green in the picture but is the colour of a T shirt i have...


After a visit to see my dad the skies had cleared again within an hour and i spent an hour on the coast


How can you spend an hour on 3 miles of coastline?, easy, see the coast has no fences and boundaries - except the sea of course so you can ride anywhere that you can, no paths or trails you have to stick to, freedom...

After a ride across rocks exposed by the low tide, and spying some lines for a future film , a quick look around the harbour and boat moorings...




Home on the John Muir Way as more rain clouds rolled in, i stayed dry until home...


Wonder how many times i ride this section of the JMW to and from North Berwick. I am real lucky having this all weather surface trail to ride near my home. I am real lucky living in East Lothian...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, nice early start! I got a magicshine start of this year, brilliant light. Was out over to oldhamstocks today on an old Santa Cruz heckler I've had built up, great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi runtwo, i have not been out by Oldhamstocks for a while, it`s a great view from the transmitter mast up on Blackcastle hill, i ned to revisit!
    I had an orange Heckler, a great bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having cycling is really great, its my every day habit to enjoy mountain biking with my friends.

    ReplyDelete