Monday 13 February 2012

the The



When i went to High School in 1984 along with listening to Heavy Rock and Metal  influenced by my big brother,  i listened to a lot of Punk and New Wave  influenced by my big sister.
In between the two was early electronic like Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream from big bro and `chart` electronic like Gary Newman from big Sis...
There was also a lot of early John Peel stuff... (Wedding Present, Pixes etc...)

One band i listened to throughout High school that only one other friend listened to was `the The`,
Matt Johnson produced 2 Albums;

 `Soul Mining`...


 And `Infected`...


 Between those magic High School years of 1983 - 1987... it was Jools Holland who played piano, no intro needed there...fantastic lyrics sung by Matt Johnson...
Post  School there was also another lost classic album;  Mind Bomb


It was the first two albums that are ingrained on me forever.
Sadly my friend from High school is no longer with us... so when i listen to `the The`  i think of  times riding BMX and hanging out with Clark...
This song is one of there best from there Album  `Soul Mining `...

Does anyone else out there remember them?...

Uncertain Smile...





5 comments:

  1. I've never been able to figure out why Soul Mining wasn't hugely popular. It is one of my all time favorites. Thanks for prompting me to listen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to use some of the songs on films,
    It is indeed a gem of an album,

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my all time favourite bands Bruce, got some of my politics/world awareness from Matt Johnson also

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still play Soul Mining....I used to have the cassette back in 80s, and I seem to recall it had a couple of extra tracks which are not on the CD...can't remember what they were? Brilliant stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister still has that cassette somewhere, yep it had extra tracks!

    ReplyDelete