Tuesday 20 September 2016

David Stirling, SAS Memorial...


`UPHOLDING THE PRINCIPLES OF FREEDOM AND JUSTICE`

I`m constantly reading WW2 books, esp anything Scottish related, and i have read a lot about the Special Air Service. The SAS were founded in 1941 by Scotsman David Stirling after his Commando Unit was disbanded...

This film on YouTube has a few sound glitches but all uploads of this film seem to have the same issue,
This the only ever film interview with Stirling and some of the SAS Originals...



Ordinary men who do extraordinary things...
I met a man who lives here in East Lothian one day at Tyninghame car park, he knew who i was as did his wife. He said he worked with my late father at John Muir Country park as a park ranger. I remember they visited the house  when we were kids, real nice man who became a friend of my father,
When i said hello to my father from him that afternoon in the Nursing home Dad said to me "do you remember what i told you what he did before coming to work with me?"
Then i remembered Dad had told me he was a former member of the SAS, Could not meet a nicer man, but he was tough as old boots and i think he would have been serving around the time of the Iranian siege in London in 1980. which was the first  time ever the SAS were shown in action on TV...

Until Sunday i never knew there was a memorial to David Stirling and the SAS members and driving home from Callender we de toured via Doune village behind Brian who led us to the hill top....









It`s an impressive monument to brave men...


David Stirling Memorial from coastkid71 on Vimeo.

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment