Thursday 17 February 2022

Go Pro HERO 10, 1st tryout...

My 2 year old Go Pro HERO 8 Black whilst having fantastic image stabilisation has been bugged with a few recurring glitches that whilst small can be real irritating when they happen as they will inevitably when your filming with other folk and/or in weather that you don't want to be opening the side door that accesses the battery. Numerous times I have factory reset it and had updates via the Go Pro App - I even phoned the help line and had a helpful conversation with someone but the camera was soon back to its old trick of freezing and not starting up requiring the side door to be opened - which usually comes off and drops onto the beach to pull out and re install the battery...

Now imagine if you were out paddle boarding or out cycling in horrific weather be it rain or a real windy day on the coast with sand blowing everywhere?, yeah you can see the dilemma... so when Go Pro Annouced a deal on the HERO 10 of £299 if your a Go Pro member -that allows you amongst other things to store your files on the Go Pro Cloud instead of filling your PC I went for it and it arrived a few days later...

 



Like the older HERO 8 and previous HERO 9 the new cameras require linking with wi fi to the GO Pro App and checking for updates since manufacture. This also registers your Go Pro with its serial number so if there were any recalls by Go Pro you may/could get a new replacement. There are loads of set up how to YouTube films so I won't go into all that here, but I did buy a second battery with my order as the newer cameras have less battery life time with the increase in tech...


Finally I got to try it out after a weekend of no cycling and today with both batteries mains charged as recommended (not on a PC) I used the bar mount to carry it and mostly filmed using the selfie stick mono pod which had a diy stable stand for leaning in on logs or posts etc for point to point shooting...


1st big improvement on the HERO 10 is the raised buttons allowing operation with 3 season gloves on and you can even swipe the back screen and change function wearing gloves...


I previously switched off everything I will prob not use to help save battery life, so that's the wi fi - I never use my phone to operate my cameras, the voice control, the front screen which is for using for vlogging - I actually hate YouTube footage of peoples face all the time instead of seeing where they are - walking Vlogs are esp irritating when you want to see the scenery or trails!, anyways with all that switched off I last night set my standard film mode and Activity mode - again this is simple to do - again watch some of the many Youtube vids...


My Standard setting is going to probably be 4K Wide (I used to use the lower 1080 on the 8 camera), with 60 frames per second...



And for the activity again 4K Wide but with 120 frames per second for doing some slow mo scenes...


While filming mostly  using the Standard setting for point to point and hand held on the mono pod , I swapped easily to Activity setting for where I wanted to add some slow mo scenes  with the camera stationery on an object.  I easily switched to Camera Setting and took a couple of pics, these look good, certainly good enough for using on the Blog...



So far overall the camera has been more user friendly than my 2 year old HERO 8 Black which has had continued glitches as previously mentioned,  with easier to operate buttons when wearing mountain bike gloves and a larger easier to swipe back screen to switch functions...



Back home and I checked how much battery I had after doing the usual amount of filming and it was at 66% remaining, along with all the other things I doubt I will ever use will help save battery life, but they are there if I want to experiment, I prob will try 5K and see what its like but mostly I will use these settings as today as watching the film on the TV it looked good!...


Update; Unknown to me until I uploaded the film my PC did not publish the film in 4K but 1080 as it has to be 4K by 60 frames per second in the first frame and I started with pictures!, anyway here it is in 1080 and hopefully the next film will be in 4K! 

So time to see a published film with cool slow speed action without any jittering of picture,
Song is `Skyliner` by Boards OF Canada



More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment