Thursday 17 March 2022

Surly Wednesday Update; back to 29+ MTB duties...


I used the Surly Wednesday last year for bike packing duties and. it is a good all round bike and probably the bikes we would use if we had to start again and taking both fat and 29+ (not 4.8 rear but only 4.4') it like the Pugsley 2.0 seems to be improved on 29+ wheels which raises the BB height approx 10mm - both the Wednesday and Pugsley 2.0 have slightly too low BB heights, being designed for 4.4" tyres - the newer in-between width/hight sizing of recent years you can get a better BB height with 4.8' or 29+ tyres -NOTE; Wednesday cannot take a 4.8" rear tyre, I know, I tried all manner of ways to avoid tyre and chain rub, the newer 4.4" tyre size actually has near the same tyre wall height ...

Anyway back to another wheel build, finally I have sorted out my good bikes which I will be using from now on- the Pugsley 2.0 5" tyre beach bike - that's done... I got another unbuilt Pugs 2.0 frame set with everything to built 29+ for bikepacking,

And The Surly Wednesday for trails and mountainbike duties with the Bluto suspension fork and a dropper seat post refitted. the 29+ wheels have summer tyres fitted -Chupachabras and I wanted something with a bit more bite for softer trails, and I had a new 177mm through axle Hope Fatsno rear hub sitting and recently scored an unused Hope Fatsno 150mm thru axle front hub - its red so they don't match but that don't matter,

I had promised to build a set of 29+ wheels for my big brothers Surly Wednesday, so with having these hubs it made more sense to sell him my complete ones with tyres etc ready to go and finally Halo vapour 29+ wheels came back in stock here in the UK, with rims arrived along with 298mm spokes - that turned out to be 2mm too long I soon had new wheels laced and trued them on the Wednesday frame set...






Split tube and usual method, these rims are tubeless ready but I don't thing the new tyres were...

Vittoria Cannolli 29 x 3 at a bargin £30 each on eBay, these soon aired up on the rims ok and were given 300ml of Stans sealant...


The foam you see cut on the floor was not needed...






All done and ready to roll...


The new tyres width is slightly narrower - more like a 29 x 2.8 tyre but that's fine for my intended purpose for the bike...


Maxxis Chronicle 29 x 3.0 tyre on the same rim...

We cycled east out of town along to Torness, a fantastic day and good to bed in both bikes new wheel sets, film of this ride is on the previous blog post...


Next day we went a short loop up into the Hill foots and a chance to try these tyres...







Tomorrows harvest...5+ months away...


Friend Taylor was out running!...



These tyres roll really well and have good side wall grip in softer conditions, 

Wee film from todays cycle, Song is `See Ya Later` by Boards Of Canada


More soon...





No comments:

Post a Comment