Sunday 27 March 2022

Willys Jeep update; replacement seat covers...

 

Since I got my Jeep i wanted to get canvas seat covers as the original Jeeps were kitted out with, while the French military copied the Willis MB spec identicaly they used PVC seat covers and roofing. While great to wipe down if muddy they are horrible on a hot day when your T shirt blows up in the wind and your back burns on the hot PVC!, 
I managed to buy a used but perfect roof tarp made by UK company Worthing Canvas - which are said to be the best in the business, so I really now wanted the canvas seats to match. A quick call and chat with John himself who was friendly and very helpful and £290 payment later everything was on its way and 3 days later a big box arrived and opening it I was greeted with that amazing smell of new canvas!



I soon had the old PVC covers unscrewed and the main seats all mounted easily enough..

I took my time and checked and re checked position before punching holes for the supplied self tapper screws and countersunk washers...








Only the hip pads which on the Hotchkiss M201 have plywood inside instead of metal like the Willys MB and Ford GPW - I will hopefully pick up a pair of these back plates but for the meantime used the plywood with the thinner M201 foam and stapled them on...



The drivers seat has a zip underneath and this was originally for maps I believe, but also good to store a folded wool blanket - giving you a bit more padding, I added the Tartan rug which previously was under the rear seat...


Family heirloom this rug!


I first tried to neatly fold the blanket..


Not managing to fold it to the right size I managed to fit it better by just pushing it in to get a flatter seat, loads of cushioning now!





A short drive with the sun out and all good and these seats are so well made - I`m really impressed...



Give John and Mary`s website a look and check out their well made products link here; Worthing Canvas


More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment