Thursday 7 July 2022

Go Pro cameras; HERO 10 6 months update; and a look at my previous cameras...


It's 6 months now since I bought my Go Pro Hero 10 camera and it has been fantastic. I have filmed /edited  and uploaded over 50 films and have no problems what so ever. It always starts and stops filming every push of the button, and part from toggling across to take the odd still picture i leave it on 1080/240fps (frames per second) with boost stabilise on, blue tooth off - in fact everything else switched off. In this setting I get 2 1/2 hours film on a 64k memory card and can film several days on one battery. in fact I only used the spare battery on the final 2 days of our week away at Cromarty/Aviemore in May...
 

I have two Go Pro padded cases and this larger case holds everything I need, the Go pro Hero 8 and 5 session I now use on magnets on the Willys Jeep, charging cable and mains plug, spare 10 and 8 battery,  head mount and chest mount, spare quick release camera mount - these can break, esp in cold weather...



Both my Surly Pugsleys and Surly Wednesday, and G`s Pink Pugsley have these £10 motorcycle handlebar mounts and nearly all my cycling films and made from this view point or with myself holding it and cycling one handed to have a look around, the image stabilisation is of a quality I would never imagine possible on a £300 camera... while the older Hero 8 has image stabilisation its not as good as this and walking with the even older Hero Session 5 is now unwatchable you become so accustomed to the steadiness, when cycling the view looks like a drone is following the bike in front its that good...



Only recently I went looking online and then on the camera realising there is a wind reduction setting as always moan about the wind noise on Go Pro cameras, it is satisfactory now and it allows you to still have enough volume to hear waves braking etc...


I retired the older Hero 4 session as it now has play in the charging port and uses an older shape lead socket, while the 5, 8 and 10 all use the same


It is now in the print tray in the Ops Room, along with other old things I have used/found along the way...




Already in there my first Go Pro - a Hero 2, amazing how far these wee cheap cameras have come...



With the 5, 8 and 10 sharing the same lead a spare lead in the van always leaves a charging option if away,


Jeep cameras... 8 and 5

This leads onto my Hero Session 5 I actually bought after the 8 secondhand in as new hardly used condition, bought to make hassle free films after starting issues which have always dogged the 8 requiring opening and removing/reinstalling the battery - not ideal on a windswept coast, or in wet weather!,

Sadly though the wee cube 5 (same shape as Hero 4 session) through probably lack of use does not hold a battery charge for more than 2 days , so you need to charge it full the night before filming.

Magnet mounts allow these camera to be mounted anywhere you want on the Jeep, with it's start/stop  issues I tend to sit the 8 on the Jeep and just leave it filming for say 5 minutes and with a foam wind sock the wind noise is reduced a lot but not as good as the 10




While the easy to operate on push 5 session goes all over the Jeep inc underneath for some short film clips of stuff moving etc....


`Suicide cam`...




Which leads me to ask the question... with its great small cube size, simple buttons - which like the 10 can be operated with gloves on (3/4 of the year on the Jeep!) why don't Go Pro make a new session with the same bombproof cube of the 4 and 5, yet with the guts of the 10 and remove all the extra stuff for folk who don't need or use it ( like me for instance), that would be great. people say the Go Pro Hero 10 is the best camera from Go Pro yet easily, but its a bit heavier for using on a helmet mount, so this idea would be perfect...




Remember the Moto of my Youtube channel?

`Fun films with cheap cameras`...

More soon...







No comments:

Post a Comment